Home | Garden | Orchard | Cooking | Crafts | Lifestyle | Chickens

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Homemade pancakes

Monday, we had the day off from work, so it was a relaxed morning. I had the idea to make pancakes for breakfast because we haven't had pancakes for a very long time. Reaching up to the top of the cabinet, I pulled down the mix. In my usual fashion, I immediately check for the sodium content. Not surprisingly, it was high. I now know why we haven't had pancakes in while.

Not to be deterred, I went online to search for a recipe. At the top of the list was the highly rated Good Old Fashion Pancakes. After checking the recipe and the pantry, I had all the ingredients or equivalents to make pancakes.

Here are the ingredients I used:

1.5 cups whole wheat flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons Sugar in the Raw
1 egg
4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1.5 cups Silk Light Vanilla soy milk

Makes 4 plate sized pancakes

I mixed the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ones in another before putting them together. I heated my frying pan with some olive oil, then scooped 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan. Unlike typical pancakes, the batter didn't spread out or move at all. It did brown and appear to be cooking, so I flipped it over. It was at this point I added water to the batter which was for all intents as purposes, dough. I added enough water (about 1/2 cup) so I could stir the batter and it had some fluidity to it.

Pulling my pancake biscuit out of the pan, I poured the next pancake. This one moved normally and cooked up golden brown. I put it on a plate and gave it to my husband to eat. He really liked it. After cooking the rest of the batter, I sat down with my pancake. It was quite tasty. I also ate the biscuit and thought it was good in that form too. The extra pancake I put in the fridge was a easy snack later in the day, plain without a plate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

_ | _