The first round of pumpkins were harvested yesterday. After doing some research, it is recommended that they be cured in order to have a longer shelf life. Today I started to cure them using the following steps:
- Washed them in soapy water with 1 part bleach to 10 parts water (this is a rough estimate - I didn't actually measure)
- Dried them with a dish towel
- Tried to find a place that will stay around 80-85 deg F, I picked the laundry room
- Set the pumpkins on top of the dryer with space between them so air can flow (Note: We do not use our dryer so there isn't any chance that the pumpkins will get too hot as a result of the dryer being on)
- Let them cure for 10 days
That's it. Hopefully they will cure well and last the two months until Halloween.