Home | Garden | Orchard | Cooking | Crafts | Lifestyle | Chickens

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Grandpa's Potato, Broccoli, and Mustard Greens Soup


From Grandpa:

This is what I cooked for dinner tonight. It is a variation on Mami's great tasting soup. This recipe does not take much time to prepare and is healthy and tastes good. And most important it won praises from a few of my grandchildren.

The morning of the “dinner” (that is this morning)….
I scrubbed the skin of a few potatoes and removed the skin of a large yam (sweet potato) and cut them all to pieces and submerged them in water in a crockpot. I set the crockpot to low heat and left for work. I also put in the crockpot some fresh thyme and spicy oregano in a canister meant for tea leaves along with a bay leaf.
I normally cook the potatoes in the microwave oven but I am aware that cooking starch at high temperature creates some carcinogenic compounds and the crockpot is the perfect solution. The jail for the thyme and oregano permits me to remove the herbs after they have given up their nutrients to the soup.

The evening of the “dinner” (that is NOW)….
I sauteed onions, garlic in canola oil.
More specifically… I cooked the onions in the microwave until they were translucent. I normally saute the onions since they require longer cooking than garlic but this is a shortcut that I sometimes take.
I heated some cumin in a pot for about a minute until I could smell the cumin fragrance.
I added some canola oil (canola tolerates heat  more than most other oils) and chopped (in a vitamix) garlic and sauted for a minute.
I then combined onions and garlic mixture and sauteed for 1 minute.
I added the saute mixture to the crockpot.
I cooked some fresh broccoli in the microwave and added to the crockpot.
I cooked some fresh mustard and kale greens  in the microwave and added to the crockpot.
I added a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to the crockpot for flavor (dont want to burn the olive oil).

I removed the canister housing the herbs and also the bay leaf and used a hand blender to produce a “soup”.
Added ground pepper and a little salt and some nutritional yeast.

Served it with rice (brown rice and millet) and fresh cole slaw (they type you buy in a bag). For my personal serving I added some chili peppers.

Please pass along to those in your family who are trying to eat more vegetables.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

_ | _