Home | Garden | Orchard | Cooking | Crafts | Lifestyle | Chickens

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Chicken Update

The chickens are all grown up. The white ones (Light Brahma breed) are much larger than their brown sisters (Ameracauna breed). Lately we have been letting them out to free range in the backyard. Here is a picture of the two breeds next to each other:

All four chickens are still very friendly. They will come running over to me and stand next to my feet. One even walked under my leg when I was sitting in a lawn chair. It is fun to see them run, even if it is more of a waddle with an occasional burst of flight.


We went on vacation a couple of weeks ago. It was that week that the brown chickens laid their first eggs (at 20 weeks of age). By the time we got home, there were several. They are a greenish blue color.




My husband decided to eat some, and the first one he opened was a double yolk.





Over the last week, they have been laying nearly every day. I kept wondering when the white chickens would start. Today I got my answer, our first brown egg:



At least we know one of the white chickens is laying (at 22 weeks of age). Maybe there will be another brown egg tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

_ | _