Home | Garden | Orchard | Cooking | Crafts | Lifestyle | Chickens

Friday, February 20, 2009

Field Trip

Yesterday the weather was beautiful. After many consecutive days of rain, the sun was shining and the temperature was in the upper 60's. I decided to eat lunch outside on the back porch. Lately, I have been eating lunch next to the seedlings and using the time to check them out for any changes or growth. I decided I would take them outside and sit them on the concrete for a while. Hey, if I was enjoying the sun so much I figured the plants may benefit from it as well. After giving them some water from below (I have learned my lesson about top watering), I let them sit in the sun for about 2 hours. When I brought them back inside, they seemed ok.

In addition to the first sun exposure, the seedlings are starting to develop their first sets of true leaves. The are really tiny right now and I have to look very closely to see them. I expect by next week that there will be some actual leaves instead of just the cotyledons. It is exciting to watch the seedlings grow with the hopes that they will survive and become vegetable bearing plants this summer. The next step is to get the outdoor beds prepared so they are ready to be planted once the last frost date passes.

Still on track for tomatoes by the 4th of July!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

_ | _