Last week I was given a bag of Amish Friendship Bread and recipe. After sampling the actual "bread" I decided that I didn't want to maintain the with the intent of baking the Amish Friendship Bread recipe (a little too unhealthy for eating on a regular basis). Instead, I decided that I would attempt to transform the . This is purely experimental as I have never cultivated a of any form, much less try to change the recipe. Here is current status of the experiment:
2.23.09 - AFB day 1
3.1.09 - Change in ingredients:
Added 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup light soy milk, 1/4 cup Sugar in the Raw to feed the
1. Change the container:
The is currently being kept in the 1 gallon plastic bag it came in, but I am thinking about moving it to a glass jar based on suggestions made by others online. The only thing keeping me from moving it is that I don't have a large jar to put it in.
2. Bake a non-sweet bread using the
The 10-day cycle end is approaching on 3.4.09 and I will have to use some of the for fear that it will explode all over my kitchen. I will try to make this . This was a day late according to the original directions, but it seems to be doing okay.Grandmother Bread recipe using the .
3. Further alter the "feed"
The plan to is wean the off the milk based feed and use water. Perhaps the light soy milk is a step in the right direction, or maybe I am just confusing it. Either way, the next time I feed the , I will use warm water.
4. Break the chain of distribution
I am not a fan of chain letters and the waste that is involved with perpetuating them. This is a chain letter of sorts, so I will not be distributing the as prescribed. If someone asks me for some, I will happily share, but I do not want to impose this on others unsolicited.
In the meantime, I will be preparing for the next steps by gathering materials and ingredients. Part 2 will be coming soon with the latest status of the experiment.