Home | Garden | Orchard | Cooking | Crafts | Lifestyle | Chickens

Monday, June 15, 2009

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - June 2009

Last month I discovered a site that participated in Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. After checking it out, I thought what a lovely idea. Every month on the 15th, capture what is blooming in the garden. Last month, I unknowingly wrote an entry about flowers in the garden. Here is my first official chronicle of the garden.


First up are the Marigolds. This year I planted two different seed mixes: Burpee's Mixed Colors and the Flower Power Mix. Overall they have been performing well, with the exception of a few plants that were attacked by earwigs.


Next up are the Nasturtiums (Cornucopia: Tall Single Mixed Colors, Tropaeolum majus). These little beauties are flourishing. I grew them from seed and transplanted the seedlings as companions. They are blooming all over the garden and are a nice complement to the squash plants.


Speaking of squash plants, they are healthy and strong. The yellow flowers above are from one of our Cornucopia Table Queen plants. The flowers have a ruffle along the edges and are a little fancier then the zucchini flowers. Also in the photo is the lovely California Poppy that just showed up the in garden. The upper right is the fiery red bloom of our Wonderful Pomegranate tree.

I know there are a lot of reds, oranges, and yellows out there. However, there are a few cooler colored flowers. The lavender bloom is from a wild garlic that found a home in the shade of an oak tree. The pink bell shaped flowers are from an unidentified plant that is growing near the wild garlic. If anyone knows what this is, please let me know. Last, is the white bloom from our garlic. I planted garlic and onions in a little patch early this year.

To see other blogger's June Blooms, head over to May Dreams Gardens.

4 comments:

Yvonne said...

I love all your hot-colored plants. Thanks for sharing.

Carol Michel said...

Welcome to bloom day! It's nice to see the marigolds and nasturtiums blooming. I think it will be a few weeks before mine take off her in zone 5b.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Michelle said...

@Country Gardener - Thanks for visiting. I too like the hot colored plants, even if I didn't intend to have so many at the start.

@Carol - Thanks for the comments. Yes, the nasturtiums just started taking off this week. They are competing strongly with the squash vines right now.

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

_ | _