Thursday, February 18, 2010
Avocado Bruschetta Sandwich
1. Cut the baguette in half and slice lengthwise to form a open faced sandwich. We used a homemade whole wheat baguette that was leftover from the night before
2. Place a thin layer of cheese on the bread. We used fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced.
3. Sprinkle with italian seasoning and garlic powder (this is a shortcut to rubbing the bread with cloves as with traditional bruschetta).
4. Toast the bread in the oven until the cheese is melted. This took about 5 minutes using the low broiler.
5. Slice the tomatoes and avocados and layer on the toasted bread.
6. Finish the sandwich with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and some freshly ground pepper.
This makes enough for two hearty servings. The photo above was one serving.