Scalloped potatoes are not a glamorous food. The presentation isn't all that great, but the taste makes up for it. This recipe is adapted from the scalloped potato recipe in The No-Salt Lowest-Sodium Cookbook we have been using.
8 potatoes (1152 cal, 64 mg)
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced (22 cal, 2 mg)
4 cloves garlic, minced (16 cal, 4 mg)
2/3 cup half and half (214 cal, 54 mg)
2/3 cup low fat milk (60 cal, 90 mg)
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese (640 cal, 120 mg)
1 cup diced mixed peppers (46 cal, 6 mg)
2 tablespoons flour (25 cal, 0 mg)
1 tablespoon olive oil (119 cal, 0 mg)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (0 cal, 0 mg)
1. Peel and slice the potatoes very thin.
2. Saute the onion, garlic, and peppers in some olive oil until soft.
3. Add the flour and pepper to the pan and stir. The flour will thicken up the sauce.
4. Pour the half and half and milk into the mixture and stir constantly, until bubbles appear and the sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
5. Grease a 9x9 or 9x13 casserole dish.
6. Layer half of the potatoes into the casserole and cover with half the sauce.
7. Add the rest of the potatoes and cover with the remaining sauce.
8. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
9. Remove the foil and continue to bake for another 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
This recipe has a total of 2294 calories and 340 mg of sodium.